Cool facts about Turner2:29 PM
J. M. W. Turner was an English painter from the Romantic period. Here's some interesting information about him:
1) According to his will, he wished to be buried in his painting Dido building Carthage, considered by him his masterpiece.
building Carthage - Turner|
2) His body of work is huge: almost 1.000 oil paintings and about 10.000 drawings and watercolors.
3) To make a sketch of a painting that would be called Snow Storm, Steam Boat off a Harbour’s Mouth he tied himself to the main mast of a ship. He just faced the storm and kept drawing.
4) He worked all day long, every day.
5) When seeing Claude Lorrain’s Seaport with the Embarkation of the Queen of Sheba, Turner cried convinced he could never paint so well.
Facts 1 and 5: National Gallery by Daniela Tarabara (collection about the great museums of the world available in Spanish)
Facts 2, 3 and 4: Creators by Paul Johnson