The Shop Around the Corner

8:40 AM

The romantic comedy for those who hate romantic comedies

I never liked romantic comedies but “The Shop around the corner” is probably one of my favorite movies of all times. In case you also don’t like romantic comedies, try watching this one. I mean, it is so important to fall in love with the right type of movies. I know so many people who are in love with Quentin Tarantino movies and that just doesn’t seem right.

Anyway, the story is simple: Mr. Kralik (James Stewart) and Ms. Novak (Margaret Sullivan) work for Matuscheck and Company - a gift store in Budapest. They don’t particularly like each other and spend a lot of their work time bickering.


They have one thing in common, though. They are both in love with their secret pen pals.  What they don’t know is that they are actually writing letters to each other..

“- Hey, isn’t that the plot of You’ve got mail?” 

Actually, yes. The modernized version with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan was based on this movie, but the difference is that “The Shop Around the Corner” doesn’t suck.

Basically, the essential of “The Shop around the corner” is missing from “You’ve got mail”. Klara is always thrilled to receive a letter from her “Dear Friend”. Are we that enthusiastic about our inbox? We are addicted and obsessed by it – which is different.

Plus, everything about The Shop around the corner is charming. Matuscheck and Company, the suits, the matching vests, the pocket watches, the hats, Klara’s aunts, Klara’s voice, Pepe, Rudy. I mean, even the swindler is sophisticated. 


"Keep the change. Send your boys through college."

You can’t really go wrong when Jimmy Stewart is out to make you fall in love with him.
  
What’s your favorite line from the movie? I love the scenes when Klara and Mr. Kralic are having an argument but they can’t stay mad at each other because they express themselves so well. This is probably my favorite:

Mr. Kralik: There might be a lot we don't know about each other. You know, people seldom go to the trouble of scratching the surface of things to find the inner truth. 
Klara: Well I really wouldn't care to scratch your surface, Mr. Kralik, because I know exactly what I'd find. Instead of a heart, a hand-bag. Instead of a soul, a suitcase. And instead of an intellect, a cigarette lighter... which doesn't work. 
Mr. Kralic (smiling): Well, that’s nicely put. Comparing my intellect to a cigarette lighter that doesn’t work… That’s a very interesting mixture of poetry and meanness.


Tell me your favorite lines in the comments! 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've never seen The Shop Around the Corner. I see now that I MUST!! It sounds like a terrific movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy you were interested in this movie. I really think it's worth it. Plus, it's a great Christmas movie! xx

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! Do come back because I usually reply to comments here.